0


Two petrol tankers yesterday went up in flames at Giant IBK Oil and Gas Filing Station on Ondo Road, Akure.

The inferno held up traffic on the busy road for several hours.


Eyewitnesses said the incident occurred at 1.30pm as the trucks were offloading at the stations.

The station manager, petrol attendants and drivers fled the scene.

A worker said: “I was in the building when I heard the sound and you know I can’t question my manager because we all ran.”

Another said: “The drivers and assistants were offloading fuel into the reservoir when the tankers burst into flame.”

But one of the drivers, who identified himself as Victor, said he arrived at the station from the Lagos depot one hour before the incident.

He said: “Immediately I came from Lagos, I parked the tanker in the fuel station and I expected the workers to start offloading into their reservoir.

“But an hour later, I discovered that the tanker was on fire. Now, I am confused.”

Officers of the 323 Artillery Brigade were on the scene to prevent a breakdown of law and order while State Fire Service men battled to put out the fire.

An oil and gas dealer, Daisi Lawal, blamed the fire on the failure to comply with the Department of Petroleum Resources’ (DPR) safety precaution.

Post a Comment

Trending News

 
Top